Sunday, October 11, 2009

Christmas in the Woods

When I first saw "Scenic Season" (#11534 - Main) in the new catalog I immediately thought this would be great for a country scenic card. Now did I want animals or something different? Ah Ha! The cabin from "Backwoods" (#113407 - Dormant) works perfectly! The Merry Christmas is from the set "Yuletide Greetings" (#116855 - Mini).
I wanted an early morning skyline so I used a dab of our new Frosty White Shimmer Paint (#116854-Mini) and mixed it with two drops Bashful Blue and Pretty in Pink classic reinkers each. Using a sponge dauber, I colored in part of the skyline with Bashful Blue. Do this in a circular motion. Then I filled in the white space with Pretty in Pink. And then went lightly over it all with the Bashful Blue again to meld the colors. Below the skyline, I used the Frosty White. I wanted to replicate the shimmery effects when snow has just fallen or has a crust of ice on top.

Using Handsome Hunter Classic ink, I loaded up my stamp but then took the matching marker and added ink to various spots (especially edges) to give shadow to the trees. I did mask the bird and words so they would not show on this card.

The cabin I stamped in Black StazOn and then colored with my Stampin' Up markers. After stamping the cabin, I was staring at the picture and noticed I did not get the ink fully by the window. What turned out to be my first mistake on this card, gave me a great idea. I "saw" a person sitting in the window with a candle! So I colored it as such.

My next step was to stamp the sleigh and horse from the "Yuletide Christmas" set. This was supposed to go where "Merry Christmas" is but I smudged the white underneath so onto Plan B. I used the wording from the same set to cover my error.

Now the cool thing is that this whole card Shimmers!!!!! Yep, even though I stamped and colored over the Frosty White Shimmer Paint, it did not prevent the shimmer from coming through.

This is a great way to show how versatile the Stampin' Up sets are. I used three different sets and they all work lovely together. Give it a try and see what you can create.

No comments: